My summer is going quite well... I have had lots of time to take care of my apartment, vacation, take classes, learn some new web design software, and keep busy with Flint Enterprises. Here's a quick chronology with links and pictures.
Map of my summer travels
June 10 I went to a wedding in Scranton for my friends Christine Valente and John Sluzark with my girlfriend. June 12
Since 1991 I have worked at Heritage Reservation, a large summer camp operated by Greater Pittsburgh Council of the Boy Scouts of America. Well... they got me to come work for them for a few weeks this year as well. This time around I worked at the Discovery Outpost, a high adventure camp where young men can experience shotgun shooting, tomahawk throwing, mountain biking, canoeing, climbing and rappeling, and blackpowder rife shooting.
Click here to see pictures and full details of all the cool stuff we did there.
Now this is the highlight of my summer! I took an aviation course at Lock Haven University where I'm working on my Masters in Education. This graduate course included ground school where we learned everything necessary to become a private pilot. It included five hours of flight instruction and a glider ride. It was a very strenuous course (six credits in three weeks) but I pulled out an A.
Click here to see LOTS of pictures and more about this course.
July 8 Since I'm a big fan of Drum and Bugle Corps (DCI) competitions, I went to my first show of the summer at the DCI Atlantic Championship in Philadelphia, PA. My brother, Ian, plays tuba for the Cadets drum and bugle corps. The Cadets have been named national and world champions a total of 18 times including this year (2000) and 1998 when both my brother and sister toured.[picture]
Ian is third from the left in this
rehearsal picture --->
July 9 There's nothing like two DCI shows in a row! I went to another show in Altoona today. There was hardly anyone there so I got a perfect seat - high up on the 50. July 10 I went for a glider flying lesson at the Keystone Gliderport. What a great experience! I also went to the State College, PA airport to see President Clinton arrive for the NGA meeting at Penn State. July 11
My second class for the summer: Fundamentals of Educational Leadership with Dr. Bean at Lock Haven University. This graduate course requires a lot of reading, writing and eight hours of class discussion per week. The three of us are joined by video conferencing with five students in Coudersport, PA. See our team's web site. July 16 I went to the People's Choice Arts Festival in Boalsburg, PA and had my caricature drawn for my classroom web site. July 29
Vacation itinerary with my girlfriend, Kelly: August 5 DCI Eastern Championships in Allentown, PA.
- Clinic with the Phantom Regiment in the afternoon
- Cadets take another win!
Washington D.C. vacation itinerary:
- DCI World Championships
- My brother's corps, The Cadets, became 2000's undefeated World Champions. Top moments of finals night.
- My family and I were on live TV on PBS during the show. Look for us just as SCV takes the field.
- I sold out of the DrumCorps shirt! Carolina Crown was selling them for me. [pictures of souvie stand]
- Picture gallery
- Norman Rockwell exhibit at the Corcoran Gallery of Art
- This was a very large gathering of most of his major works. It is absolutely stunning to see these works! There is nothing like it - they are so lifelike and well executed.
- Some of the works are so powerful that people in the gallery were crying. One woman I saw dropped to her knees and started to weep.
- Old Town Alexandria, Virginia walking tour
- The Capitol Building
- Smithsonian musuems and other Washington, D.C. attractions.
Late August Almost time to go back to school! I spent these two weeks getting materials and lesson plans ready for the beginning of another school year. I also registered MrFlint.com and overhauled my virtual classroom web site.